Entertainment & Music In God's House: A Novel About the Greatest Scandal of Our Time

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 2nd Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

“In God’s House” by Ray Mouton is a fictional novel. It’s about a lawyer who is called to defend a paedophile priest. In the process, he loses his faith, his family and his profession.

This starts in 1985, well before the events which have unfolded in more recent years in a number of countries.

It’s fiction. But it’s based on the author’s experience, who as a lawyer, was called to defend a paedophile priest (Gilbert Gauthe- Google uncovers lot of information on this real life case). In the process, he lost his faith, his family and his profession.

While it is fiction, and real life doesn’t exactly correspond with the novel, it is powerful and eye opening stuff.

In the novel, the priest has abused a score of young boys. The actions are horrific; many of them with more than one at a time. He was convicted of the abuse of 39 boys up to that time. He claims at one stage that he rarely went a night without sex.

He was convicted and sentenced to 20 years. He served less than 10. He was put into a special jail where he had access to young men.

But the horror goes far beyond that.

We’ve heard reports of priests, who when discovered behaving inappropriately with boys, are simply moved to another parish.

But the book details a systematic cover up. Not just an ignorance of facts as detailed by George Pell recently, but an active and systematic cover up from the very top. The victims must go to confession to confess their sins. The church is to be protected at all times, no matter what the cost. George Pell is only one member of the hierarchy who was directed about how to handle matters of sexual abuse of boys.

This priest should not have passed seminary. He was twice discovered with boys before he even finished seminary, and again from the very first church he served. Yet nothing was ever done.

The book claims that in 1962, an edict was sent out from John XXIII, to be kept secret; under this edict, nothing must be said about any misbehaviour to any civil authority, even under oath.

It goes further back. There are claims that there were similar problems in the church dating back to the fourth century, and for many years after.
    Interestingly, he goes on to say
    – which is a different view from one I have stated before in this forum.

It is stated that the Catholic Church isn’t the only place where these abuses take place. Wherever there are opportunities, paedophiles will gravitate. The book though is about one priest, and about the Catholic hierarchy, going right to the top, who sought to protect their church no matter how it was done.

Without wanting to give away too much, in the book, the priest is finally served justice. This does not appear to have happened in real life.

Highly recommended. A good read, although very difficult to read at some stages.
    Edit: difficult to read because of what it portrays, not the writing style.

Available on Amazon.com.au for $5.18.
    In God's House: A Novel About the Greatest Scandal of Our Time eBook: Ray Mouton: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store

I rate it 5 out of 5. There's not many books I've read recently come close to that.

Last edited: 3rd Apr, 2016
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Wow very interesting! It's another world behind the closed doors, secret society

What other secrets are they hiding?? I remember visiting the Vatican being blown away by the grandeur and the wonder of "what's behind the locked doors?" they have some serious cash and serious pull in society

A Brother from my high school is off to gaol soon for things that happened 30 Years ago, he also confessed to a couple of extra things but what about the rest?? Was that the only time he strayed?? All trust is gone, he seemed like one of the "good guys" but obviously not. It seems they gravitate to where they can get away with it but you still don't know about old mate down the road, you never know sometimes.scary stuff as its usually someone close to the family, friends, relatives, church etc

wylie and geoffw like this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Spirituality is a self defined path that has nothing to do with religion, you cannot be spiritual and religious at the same time.

People who have carved out a life of preaching "fast food morals in a can" to the masses (called religion), preaching to everyone how they should be thinking and invalidating anything outside of that dogma as not being ok is interesting. It is not surprising that something dark lurks under all that defined "moral" thinking.
    Like people who have to drum into others how "ethical" they are, if you have to keep telling people you are ethical, ethical is most likely what you are not.

Peter_Tersteeg and Kate Moloney like this.
  4. geoffw

It seems that many people who are against dogma become very dogmatic themselves.

Religion was born out of a search for spirituality. Many people find their own path to spirituality through religion. Many others don't. It's up to people to find their own truth. And not to assume that what works for them works for everybody as well.

5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

yes true

6. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

The reality is that people who harp on about stuff, like morals and being ethical and honest, are the most dishonest, unethical people around. The only thing that people stay true to is their values - if they perceive that being unethical will get them more of what they value, then they will do it.

Perthguy and Xenia like this.
  7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I don't believe that at all - I know some very spiritual people who most people would define as religious - ie, they go to church.

wylie likes this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I totally agree there are spiritual people within religious organisations who follow a defined set of beliefs that work for them. However, I would not classify them as "religious".

A very good friend of mine strongly follows a Christian religion, he used to drive me crazy with his rigid beliefs and black/white thinking that just does not work for me. I have not seen him for years but caught up with him for lunch a few months ago, still a Christian but something about him was different, he laughed at things he previously found "sinful and not acceptable", he was more open, relaxed, more accepting of other ideas and wanted to reach out and explore. He became pleasant to be around and has grown as a person - he had become more spiritually evolved and it showed.

Interestingly he looks up to the pastor in his church and he told me that the pastor had told him that it was great to see him "lose his religiousness". Made me laugh.

9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I definitely identify with that too - religion and spirituality are definitely different things, but not mutually exclusive.

JenW, wylie and Xenia like this.
  10. geoffw

It's not just religious institutions where these things have occurred. There have been reports recently of sports coaches abusing young people under their care. Victims of cricket coach sexual abuse thought they would not be believed, royal commission told - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

And apparently it happened in a number of prestigious schools - Prestigious private schools face multi-million dollar lawsuits from alleged abuse victims - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I believe that the abuse does not occur because of the institution, but rather that paedophiles are drawn to professions where they can come into contact with young people.

And it appears that the way that the schools in question dealt with the matter was very similar to the way that the Catholic Church dealt with it.

wylie likes this.