Hilarious tenant complaints

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ellejay, 7th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

We're just going through a tribunal with a tenant who has a whiff of ocd. She thinks it's our responsibility as landlords to transform her lovely rental home into a luxury pad where previous carpets, curtains, curtain rails, paintwork, doors, white good etc etc just won't do. Anyway, reading through the paperwork last night I saw a hilarious paragraph in which she described her experiences when one of the inner doors jammed shut (house and doors just eight years old). She just couldn't open it at all and told the panel that, as her daughter goes into that room twice a day to feed the pet goldfish, it was lucky that she didn't become trapped in there. WTF?? A small, vulnerable child almost trapped forever, starving to death in the dining room of a modern, eight year old home, presumably with a parent in the house somewhere at the time. Luckily she says that this horror didn't eventuate as her hubby came home from work and opened said door. Lol. This was one paragraph in a very hefty document of similar complaints. Anyone else with slightly unhinged tenants, pardon the pun. :)

MaddyG, Nattl3s, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  2. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Maybe to early to laugh yet... Possibly you will get some bleeding hearts on the Tribunal

puntersncollectors likes this.
  3. ellejay

I don't doubt it. Thank god I took out landlord insurance for that one, this woman is on a mission. It did make me laugh though, the whole gold fish feeding 'I shouldn't be alive' scenario.

Esh likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had a tenant insisting that a light switch that was tripping the power be replaced. This was a tenant we didn't choose in a house about to settle. PM took instructions from the purchaser, who also set the rent (looooong story).

So... we were fairly peeved with the whole situation already when the princess tenant wanted reimbursement for a second set of keys for her housemate. Hello!!! One person on the lease. One set of keys handed out. Selling agent (same office as PM) had multiple sets ready to hand to purchaser on settlement.

Tenant bought new shower head and wanted reimbursement for that too. Nothing wrong with old one, just not up to princess standards.

Wanted the bathroom extractor fan to be replaced with a quieter one... yeah right!!!

PM agreed to pay for the reimbursement for money spent by princess tenant, probably so we wouldn't take their sorry butts to the cleaners for taking instructions from someone with no right to give instructions.

Meanwhile, we agreed power cutting off due to faulty switch was something we needed to have fixed.

Tenant was advised our sparkie would contact her. Gave her his name. He called and text about eight times, no answer, no response. Finally he just knocked on the door and said "I'm the sparkie who has been trying to respond to your request to fix the switch."

She refused to let him in.

So we decided the purchaser could fix that. We tried our best. She actually said to the PM that she didn't think it was fair that the new owner should pay for these things. Who asked for her opinion???

Peter Galbavy and luckyone like this.
  5. ellejay

That sounds like our girl. Yep, we also have a very dangerous shower in common with you that of course fell off and injured 'I shouldn't be alive' vulnerable child and caused bruising allegedly. That was before she nearly died feeding the goldfish.

Luke T likes this.
  6. kitdoctor

kitdoctor Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Tenant was complaining of a dangerous wall mounted power outlet/point that sparked every time she used it and said she would be electrocuted. Visited property with electrician to find she was pulling cord of iron out of double adaptor connected to the power point with iron on and not switching power off at power point first. Also complaining of loose power points. When asked to show them, not one moved the slightest bit. Also complaining of certain bulbs blowing frequently, only to find she's using an incandescent bulb in kitchen range hood (heat and vibration warrant a more suitable alternative). We should start a thread on common repair/maintenance/complaints problems that need you to ask some probing questions before committing to sending a tradesman.

Paterson00, Esh and Property Twins like this.
  7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My Sydney Airbnb guest called me and demanded I send someone out to open the mailbox (which contains the keys). This is while i'm in Brisbane.

I said to him you need to put your fingers in the slot and push it from the inside if it wouldn't open. He ignores my advice. "No, it won't open. Send someone else or else i'll call Airbnb and I will cancel my booking with you"....

Ummm.... at that stage I'd had probably 40 or more different people successfully open the mailbox and nobody else had called me telling me the mailbox doesn't open.

I tell him if you can't open it please ask a passer by to try to open it. He calls back 3 minutes later, yes, it would open...
    I knew there's nothing wrong with it since I opened it myself the previous day less than 24 hours previously...

With their stay they also left the ceiling of the bathroom completely wet "I couldn't work out how to open the window"

Wtf? This guy is apparently a mechanical engineer professor??

Anyway, they left me a good review but....

luckyone likes this.
  8. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Tenants insisted on removing 'old cupboard' ( Art Deco Stained Glasss) in the kitchen, then complained about lack of storage..

Last edited: 7th Aug, 2015
  9. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Not a complaint but a request "if you'd be happy to pay for it, we'd love to have a vegetable garden"

It's generally "if you'd be happy for US to pay for it, we'd like to install a vegetable garden"

ellejay likes this.
  10. ellejay

You'd wonder if these people are safe to be out on their own.

11. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

"All the door knobs have fallen off"

I find stay at home mum tenants the worst. Their life is hell being at home with a baby all day so they just want to burn the world and nit pick on everything.

Nattl3s, Kat, Gladys and 2 others like this.
  12. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Had a tenant once insist I put a fence up the front of a property to the street because a 'dog came into their yard and ate their Guinea Pig'. Low and behold I checked her Facebook and there they were with proud photos of their pet snake devouring the Guinea Pig.

I text a screen shot of the photo to them even with the time stamp and they still denied it.

pinkboy

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My tenant complained the house was being invaded by spiders but she had dogs, so I had to order a pest controller who would use environmentally friendly pesticide :rolleyes:. I told her where to buy mortein :p. But I did check with both neighbors (who I know) and they told me there are no spiders in the area. After she moved out, I had to stay in the house for week and I didn't see a single spider in the house or yard.

luckyone likes this.
  14. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

Bare with me..... about 4 years ago we had the "Today tonight" tenant horror story, they had not handed back the keys once thier tenancy finished and done a runner....

The house was trashed, double garage filled 1500mm high with rubbish, the double garage door when we opened it had rubbish spilling out....no exaggeration...my wife got very upset....there were tears! We had to completely recarpet, repaint and hole fill walls on a 3 year old house.... There was birdshit through the house...they must have kept birds inside.

The kicker was they left a living frill necked lizard in a big glass cage in the lounge room.... A live animal left behind!

Now here comes the "hilarious" request.

2 weeks after doing a runner, not paying thier last month of rent and disappearing, the property manager gets a phone call and the tenant asks "when can they come and pick up the lizard"!!!!

Had to be one of the biggest WTF moments I've ever had!

We had already given it to a guy who collected them so it had gone to a good home....

Just the nerve of the tenant to ask that question after the state they had left the house in, I could not believe it....

Funny story in hindsight it that definitely wasn't at the time :)

15. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I thought i was the only one who facebook stalked problem tenants. Im amazed people at the info they put up on there with a public profile. Print screen, save, idiots...

16. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I had a tenant request this winter that I install a gas outlet in the living room so he could put a gas heater in because it's so cold......only problem is....the house doesn't have any gas. The PM tried to explain that it's no possible because there is no gas. His reply was 'can't the landlord install gas so I can put a heater?'.

Esh likes this.
  17. Pins

Pins Well-Known Member

My tenant complained to me about the loud ping of the microwave in the apartment next door. Yup.

luckyone, Esh, Excalibur1 and 4 others like this.
  18. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

My latest one today

I didnt pay rent because i didnt feel safe because the agent kept on knocking on my door

(7 to 8 weeks in arrears)

luckyone, Luke T, Chilliblue and 4 others like this.
  19. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

My best one , so far, was the Cairns tenant who complained the rain came in when the window was open.

She was a true Princess. Lodged complaint neighbors could see in when timber blinds were pulled up to let in more light

Peter Galbavy, luckyone, Esh and 2 others like this.
  20. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

And we wonder why most residential investors stop at two?

MWI, luckyone, Paterson00 and 6 others like this.