Thoughts on Matusik? John Lindeman? and Terry Ryder? and reports

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by ej89, 15th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    What's the general consensus on Michael Matusik and the reports he does regularly? Have the chance to buy an ipswich, north brisbane and logan report for $25 each..Anyone follow him for a while?

Same questions about Terry Ryder and John Lindeman?

Where do you guys suggest looking for the best reports on areas to invest? Residex? RP data? Realestateinvestar?

Tekoz likes this.
  2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

By the time you read about them, the best places have already moved up significantly. You need to learn to be your own guru.

Just have a read of this to see how wrong so-called experts can be - some by a factor of 2 x times!
    http://www.news.com.au/finance/real...results-continue/story-fncq3era-1227425394400

Last edited: 15th Jul, 2015
    Eric Wu and ej89 like this.
  3. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Ej89,

Believe a great place to start would be Margaret Lomas and her "20 Must Ask Questions"

These questions will give you a great basis and define the area prior to looking for the actual property..

Attached Files:

Soul, theperthurbanist, House and 2 others like this.
  4. CosmicTrevor

CosmicTrevor Well-Known Member

They all push their own band wagons, but if a $75 investment gets you reading, thinking and questioning then it is well worth the investment. I also think the Lomas publications are worth it - not because they will give the right answers but because they provide information on which you can base your own learnings. As Propertunity says become your own guru.

Kate Moloney, 733 and ej89 like this.
  5. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

I attended a talk with John Lindeman and thought he was quite systematic with his approach. He has a webside and, his reports go for a few hundred. Haven't bought any of his reports tho.

Kate Moloney likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I
    I reviewed his predictions Perth in the last rise, pretty average, all suburbs he predicted experienced CG however they were not the best performers, I would have expected a far better results to be honest.

Then again perhaps their indications the do not include items that can make a significant difference to end values ie rezoning, infrastructure $. ..?

Also I know one of his predictions last year in Perth was A suburb in south west, WA, unfortunately no growth this market is soft. I don't subcribe so these comments from I have seen. I would not subscribe

I also looked at his predictions in Vic, NSW in the main they were regional areas, seems his missed the booming Areas.

MTR

theperthurbanist and mcarthur like this.
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about Matusik, I've seen him on a video for an apartment development, so assume he was getting paid for it.
    Seen him named on Terry Ryder's stuff so maybe they're in cahoots?
    Lindeman seems to be linked with Yardney on the stuff I read.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Li deman is linked to Steve mcKnight

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Taku Ekanayake, House and Azazel like this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ha. I wouldn't be surprised if he popped up on Margaret Lomas' site. Taking all comers!

12. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

What about this one http://www.phillipjanderson.com/18-year-real-estate-cycle/ @ej89 ?

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Yeah I think the main reason i'd use to look at some of these reports and also "hotspots" and "top 25,50,100" lists is to maybe open my mind to areas worth investing in as I don't have as much knowledge of many of the places that the professionals name. I'm on the investing sidelines for probably the next year to be honest so I wanna do as much research on as many areas as possible so that when it's time to invest I can pounce.

I like demographer Bernard Salt's presentations on areas as I know they aren't just real estate related. He did a great piece on Sunshine that may still be on youtube.

WattleIdo and Tekoz like this.
  14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Go ahead and try to read as much as you can. There's plenty of free info and reports available. If you were to pay for them now, they would probably be out of date in a years time when you're ready to buy.

Chris Au, Ezzo and ej89 like this.
  15. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

Yes, agree with @Coota9 . Good book - wish I had read this before I purchased my first IP!

16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thanks. Just watched this. He makes sense and talks about my kind of area with my kind of prices.

17. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Below is a Hot Spot suburb list from one of those listed in the thread title for Sydney for 2014.

Report was released in November 2013..

Suburb %Growth
    Albury 16.1%
    Blacktown 19.4%
    Dubbo 7.6%
    Hurstville 15.4%
    Liverpool 25%
    Cabramatta 14%
    Rouse Hill 17.1%
    Westmead 24.3%

VB King likes this.
  18. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Link to video on Sunshine Presentation

19. 733

733 Well-Known Member

Yes Matusik offers services to developers to rate developments (recommend)...he did that for one development we bought in and its our lemon...from an ethical perspective I feel it compromises independence as a researcher and conflict of interest emerges

cheekykoon likes this.
  20. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I'll read most things I see . I think we might have bought a report many years ago , but wouldn't waste my time now .

HOWEVER

I think there's one reliable , unbiased sorce out there which has been a significant factor in my success. It's something I check on a regular basis . Best thing is it's free .

Also I find its been pretty reliable at picking areas before they move , but it can be time consuming . Haven't seen it wrong yet , but there's always a first time :eek:

Cliff

VB King and Taku Ekanayake like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia