Tax Tip 52: Trusts and the main residence exemption for CGT

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Terry_w, 11th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Trusts and the main residence exemption for CGT

Discretionary or Unit Trust owned properties do not get the main residence CGT exemption under section 118-110 of the ITAA 1997. This applies even if the residence is being used as the main residence of the trustee or a beneficiary of the trust.

See the legislation below and note the bold bit below, s 118-110(1)(a) clearly states the exemption is only available for individuals.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/itaa1997240/s118.110.html

Note - there are limited exceptions such as for a special disability trust which can be exempt from CGT.

Keywords: CGT; Trusts

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Vic has a land tax exemption for trusts when a beneficiary resides. Arguably its out-trumped by the CGT issue. I have seen trusts with issues which negate the CGT issue etc....Non-residents etc

3. Terry_w

Note that CGT applies to an 'ownership interest' which could be something other than legal ownership

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A unit trust owning a interest of an individual who resides could be a concern too for asset protection. The legal basis as to why a individual wants or seeks to own their "home" in a UT may be unsound as the trust interest is still a asset exposed to creditors. Its a indirect ownership interest. However I have seen cases where a person changes mind and moves into a trust property. If its a fixed unit trust its possible that the MRE can apply. If I am asked about this I must defer to legal advice as I cant give legal advice so asking a soliictor would be wise. Its also possible in some cases to reconsider ownership and it may even be possible to effect a change of legal owner that doesnt involve duty in some cases. Seek legal advice.

5. Terry_w

Unit trusts can give superior asset protection to direct ownership in cases where tenants sue.