Tax Tip 25: Only Use Interest Only Loans To Acquire Investment Properties

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Terry_w, 22nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Only Use Interest Only Loans To Acquire Investment Properties

Another ‘basic’ concept - which some people don’t get.

Where you have non deductible debt (such as a home loan, car loan etc) then you should only have interest only on investment property loans. If you have Principal and Interest loans you would diverting repayments from your home loan to the investment loan. The balance on the investment loan would be decreasing which would mean you are ending up with less deductions. At the time time your balance on the non deductible home loan would be going down at a slower rate which means you would be paying more interest.

So the aim should be to pay down an owner occupied loan before you make any extra repayments into an investment property loan.

However, where you have no non deductible debt it is still a good idea to only use IO loans on the investment properties. The only exception would be if you are a compulsive spender in which case it may then be better to pay off the loan rather than spending the money on things you don’t need.

There are many other advantages with interest only loans

1. Lower payments;

2. Not reducing tax deductions;

3. can still pay PI if and when you want;

4. Can make lump sum deposits into the loan if and when you want.

Storing excess cash in offsets attached will

1. save same amount of interest as if paid into loan;

2. allow a cash buffer build up;

3. can allow you to live off cash rather than redrawing from loans - quicker retirement;

4. Stretch you further with purchasing ability;

5. Allow for related party loan strategies

6. Indirectly make the interest on money used for private expenses deductible.

2. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I am continually gobsmacked by the number of people who don't know such a basic tip. Including myself when I bought my first property - I only happened upon SS by chance between exchange and settlement and on that same day I had my loan changed from PI to IO.

It seems that this advice only reaches most people when they start looking for property investment info, which is usually well after they've bought their first home. Usually by then it's too late!

Will never forget when one of my friends said they refinanced their old PPOR loan back up to 80%, used the cash as deposit for their new PPOR, tried to claim on old PPOR (now IP) interest but ATO gave them a right old slap :rolleyes:

3. Terry_w

Yes it is still worthwhile pointing out the obvious as to the newbies it is not obvious.

I have heard many stories of mortgage brokers, and a fair few accountants, telling people to borrow against their investments and use the funds for private expenses - and claim the interest. Many people that I advise don't want to believe me and use the Ostrict approach - head in the sand.

4. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Obvious ... once someone's told you :)

There are too many sub-par brokers, accountants and advisors out there. Ironically they are the people in the best position to share this basic tip to first-time borrowers!

Terry_w likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

However the APRA changes now affect the servicing calcs and IO loans are now calculated at P&I and a margin applied to the rate. The days of no differential between IP and PPOR loans has changed a bit.

The concept of using IO loans however does preserve cashflow.

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

APRA hensive knows best, followed closely by ASIC puppy

When regulators apply generalisations for the protection of the masses, there will always be collateral damage casualties and unintended consequences.

I soon see a day where IO on PPOR may be a treated similarly to IVA - they will make some Orwellian stuff up that seems plausible.

Some of the lender interpretations of the current APRA concerns are purely laughable and are a direct consequence of the those same lenders ignoring APRA guidance quite a while ago.

ta
    rolf

7. Paul@PAS

Rolf.. I can see a day very soon where we are like the UK where IO loans are prohibited by law. I suspect APRA have drawn a line in the sand and if they need to regulate then IO loans will be confined to history. There will be a huge number of people affceted by this for non-property reasons and its why they havent acted yet. I can also see future OTP commitments being treated very differently by lenders.

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Given the endowment mortgage mess of the 70s and 80s im not surprised that UK regulators dont like IO facilities.

Moving forward and using that logic as an idealogy, to obtain "world best" financial system stability we should consider a ban on LMI providers because they provide a "ponzi like" sense of security for lenders............... now that would muck with the QBE and Genworth share price.

ta
    rolf

9. Paul@PAS

Heretic !!! You could be burned at the stake. You are talking like you joined the greens and could be sent to a home.

Terry_w likes this.
  10. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

How does an IO loan work? You pay interest for X number of years and then when do you start paying principle? Isn't IO loans generally set at a higher interest rate?

I can't bear seeing my mortgage amount remain at the same number year after year.

11. Terry_w

This is an old thread. In the good old days you keep extending the term and the rates were the same with pi loans.

These days things are different and it might be worth considering pi loans in some cases

12. Terry_w

5 years later and I think interest only loans are worth considering from the get go for investment debt - you can always covert them into a PI loan later on but cannot easily convert a PI loan into an IO loan

gman65 likes this.
  13. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

And the loan limits, Nanny state prevented sound metrics and nature from taking it s course to enable a supply of affordable housing. I can rember knocking back loans the banks offered because I knew they would be impossible to repay.

14. Terry_w

And don’t forget the strategy of paying PI loans and borrowing to pay the principal component creating a surrogate IO loan

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia