Tax Tip 100: Transfers between Spouses and CGT

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Terry_w, 20th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There seems to be a general misunderstanding out there with investors about what happens if a spouse transfers an interest in a property to their partner spouse.

Most people don't realise that the transfer will be a CGT event. There is no exemption except on the break down of a relationship.

Example

Isaiah and his gay spouse Mohammed own a block of land jointly as tenants in common in 50 50 shares.

Isaiah wants to transfer his share of the property to Mohammed for no consideration (i.e. a gift). This is a CGT event because it is a change in legal ownership of the land. It will be assessed at market value too.

Going forward Mohammed will have 2 separate interest in the property for CGT purposes, each with different cost bases. He will have the first 50% interest and the second 50% interest (it is as if he has 2 separate properties).

Example
    Land was purchased for $500,000 with $20,000 in costs and anotehr $30,000 in costs since holding. It is now worth $1mil. They each have a 50% interest so Isaiah's share is worth $500,000. Isaiah's cost base is $275,000 (half of $550,000) and the market value is $500,000 so that is a capital gain of $225,000.

Going forward Mohammed has 2 interests in the land:
    A which he purchased for $250,000 and
    B which he purchased for $1mil.

When Mo sells he will have to work out the cost base on each of these interests.

Sgav, datto and Nem like this.
  2. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

A very modern explanation with a gay, dual religion family to boot.

Sgav, Pingu1988, Dean Collins and 2 others like this.
  3. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Assuming the property is PPoR (and not IP block) before and after the transfer. What is the CGT implication when:
    • Isaiah transfer's his share of PPoR assuming he has jointly held the property for more than a year
    • Mohammed eventually sells the PPoR, assuing he is sole owner for more than a year after the transfer was done.

4. Terry_w

Main residence exemption would apply.

If Isaiah lived in the house since purchase, it was under 2 hectares, not income producing etc then he won't pay CGT.

If Mo had lived there from the beginning and from the purchase of the 2nd share he should be exempt on both portions.

5. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot. As always your advice is much appreciated.

Dean Collins and Terry_w like this.
  6. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

@Terry_w , extending the above example with CGT 6 year rule and 2nd PPOR...

spouse A & B lives in PPOR1 from last 5 years. PPOR1 in spouse A name only. spouse A transfers the property in spouse B name. spouse B is the owner of the PPOR1 now and both spouse A & B stays in PPOR1 for another 6 months before they buy
    PPOR2 (both on loan, only spouse A on title) and move in straight away. PPOR1 becomes IP in spouse when they move to PPOR2....

So spouse B owned the PPOR1 for 6 months before moving into PPOR2...

1) <6 years after moving in spouse B decides to sell IP (formerly PPOR1). can spouse B avoid paying CGT using 6 yr exemption rule? spouse B is ok to waive claiming same <6 years CGT exemption from PPOR2...
    2) assuming PPOR1 is in VIC...so spouse A claims main residence exemption when transferring to spouse B and no stamp duty being in vic...correct?

7. Terry_w

S0805 likes this.
  8. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

Would it be cheaper to divorce the wife, transfer ownership to her via family courts (CGT Free), then get remarried after an appropriate time? Of course this was never staged/planned to avoid CGT. It's just that we reconciled at a latter date... Terrible plan, she would never be foolish enough to let me put the ring on her finger a second time... =(

NG. and Dean Collins like this.
  9. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

Hi Terry can I ask about the costs/taxes of my own situation.

My wife and I are 50/50 on our first PPOR which we moved out of 2013 and is now IP1.

This is using 6 year rule as we haven't purchased another PPOR just more IP's and we choose to rent.

I have hit my serviceability limit and I am the higher tax payer. She runs a small business and I am PAYG.
    If I spousal transfer to her name, I believe we will pay less income taxes (it is positive cash flow, we offset this property about 40% LVR) and also increase both of our Borrowing capacities/serviceability when the time to borrow again comes.

Will I be subject to pay CGT or just conveyancing fees?
    Anything I'm missing here?

10. Terry_w

You are disposing of 50% so this is a cgt event. But you might be able to use the main residence exemption and 6 year rule to make the transfer exempt.

You need to consider the stamp duty costs too.

11. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

Thanks I had not considered stamp duty, may not be worthwhile for us.

12. Terry_w

There may be little to no stamp duty depending where the property is. If Vic act quickly

13. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not, it's in NSW

14. Terry_w

In NSW the only exemption, other than divorce or death, is when going from one name to 2 names as equal owners and it is the main residence at the time.

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

16. Terry_w

That is an interesting subsection Paul:

"(3) Land may be the subject of an exemption under this section even if it is partly held by another person who is not a part of the married couple or one of the de facto partners."

I take it to mean that A, B and C could own land with A and B being married/defacto. If ABC transfer it to AB the exemption could apply as long as its A and B's main residence and they end up equal owners.

But I have never tested this out and wouldn't try it without a private ruling.

17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I like the "may be" part. Agree that is certainly reason for a ruling.

So lets say Mum is a co-owner to assist her adult child and her partner to buy a home. Mum could go off title and no duty. I then question if her interest is as a trustee - No CGT ? If so it could be a strategy for parents to assist kids.....? Also raises questions about TIC and % and also joint tenancy etc.

It raises a number of questions. Love to hear from anyone who has a working knowledge of s104B(3) of the NSW Duties Act...When may OSR allow it ?

18. Terry_w

Paul@PAS likes this.
  19. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy Member

I understood there is also an exemption for assets held since before 1985?

Terry_w likes this.
  20. Terry_w

Yes. These are worth keeping as is in many cases as any transfer will then be subject to cgt

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia