Shipping Container Discussions

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by QbiK Evolution, 19th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

I thought i would start a thread here to have a healthy conversation about the use of shipping containers in property. I couldn't see anything similar on PC so i thought i would take it upon myself to get the ball rolling.

I think a disclaimer about myself should be put at the front of this thread for all to see. I'm a draftsman by trade and built my first container house by myself for myself. I loved building it and living in it so i have decided to try and start my own company. I'm still not 100% sure what this will look like at this stage. I'm not doing this as an advertisement, this conversation is as much for my benefit as others so i might come to know what the market is looking for and concerned about when it comes to living in containers.

With that out of the way i thought i would start with a rebuttal from my side of the fence to a domain article posted on PC about the negatives of container living. I wont rebut everything said but pick out a couple of interesting sentences that i myself do not agree with. It would be great for everyone to comment too and get a healthy conversation flowing. This would be invaluable to future posters who are looking into using shipping containers and asking lots of questions.

So here goes.

The article : http://www.domain.com.au/advice/the...tion4&utm_campaign=domainhomepage_latest_news

"Used shipping containers can have high levels of chemical residue – they are coated in lead-based paint to withstand ocean spray"
    This quote is prefaced by someone saying they only use new containers because used sea containers are dangerous. For those who do not know - a new container is really called a one use container, they still must travel from the factory in china to the final destination. Therefore, they are still painted in the same factory and the same paint as a regular container that travels all over the world.

Hogan says, “If you are going through the trouble of building in factory, why not build to a dimension that is appropriate for human habitation?”
    I strongly disagree that this person can dictate what sort of space is fit for human habitation. I'm a strong believer in humans needing to scale back our building sizes as houses have gone overboard in the past 30 years. Not to mention there would be billions of not so fortunate people out there in the world who would be more than happy to live inside a house of this size.

“Shipping container homes are rarely more cost-effective, comfortable, or more attractive than conventional homes"

This also seems to be another opinion piece based on 0 evidence. ''Comfort and aesthetics" are both based on the perception of the eye of the beholder. Cost effectiveness however is obviously a quantifiable number. I'm not sure how you would calculate that as a whole but rather on a case by case basis.

I have many more issues with things written in this article but i thought this was more than enough to get the ball rolling.

Thanks everyone.

Dian likes this.
  2. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Can you post some pics of your first build? What was your approx cost to do it? I have been interested in shipping containers but my initial thoughts where they seem so small, height and width. We have a standard 20 footer in our backyard for storage and it seems so small cant imagine living in it. I understand you can get ones that are higher internally that standard. What about insulated ones, any good?

Stoffo and KayTea like this.
  3. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

So if I wanted to buy a basic low spec (think volume builder) 3/2/2 with a garage out of shipping containers how much?

I have heard they are a good choice for severely sloping blocks?

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

My container dream, 3 containers in a U shape layout with big covered central area for the kitchen and living area. Containers for bedrooms and bathroom

Also scored one for a mate on his farm where we cut a hole and put a glass slider and bunks plus a slow combustion fire place... It was all council clean up gear so no fancy architects required. Great spot to crash after a big night instead of a swag!

WestOz and Perthguy like this.
  5. bob shovel

oberon december 002.jpg

Pimp my box

Last edited: 19th Oct, 2015
    ej89, PJ1, Rich2011 and 1 other person like this.
  6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I have similar dreams Bob, on a few acres with a stream running past.

To me there similar to a large caravan, great for singles/couples, not so much for families.
    However with a caravan you can simply hook up and move it to another location, no need for a tilt-tray, or wor$e a crane.

Not sure what local council would think but I often think of setting one up in the backyard for myself with separate fencing and entry, rent the house out. As a single I don't need lots of space to dust/clean etc. Ensuite, kitchenette, living area with a bed is all I need.

So what's the retail on a fitted out container @QbiK Evolution ?

7. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

8. bob shovel

@WestOz with regards to councils I think Regionals are easier plus larger blocks. As they can be deemed temporary. Or if anyone makes a fuss just move it
    That way above isn't visible from the road just the neighbours, who have similar gear.

We unloaded one container off a flat bed by chaining it to a tree and driving! Worked a treat and no tilt tray reqd!

9. QbiK Evolution

I don't think a container house could ever match the price of a high volume builder project home. However I don't see that as their calling. You are definitely correct in thinking they would be great for a sloping block. Once the containers are dropped on their footings and the floors bolted in place. Its easier enough for the rest of the work to be carried out the next day.

I couldn't even fathom to do a budget for that with out seeing a site, doing a design and then working out specifications. Please also understand i am not builder so therefore will not be building these at this stage my aim is to help people with designs and construction details so they could owner build it them selves and save even more money.

10. QbiK Evolution

Hi Rico2011
    here are some plans of my place along with a couple of photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final budget for my project was around 60-65k for those in Perth you will know that a 70m2 granny flat in Perth usually built from studwork or composite panels is running you at least 150k. This design or level of finish is certainly not to everyone's taste. But i would suggest if your a lover of period housing and so forth you stick to the usual types of construction. Anything more modern or contemporary would work well in this medium.

High cubes are definitely the way to go i wouldn't bother with the smaller units at all as they are negligible in price difference. An insulated i wouldn't bother with either as you would most likely still want to clad all the walls anyway so might as well save your money and spend it on the fitout.

sqe, PatsyStone and bob shovel like this.
  11. QbiK Evolution

Totally agree Bob i think they are perfect for a holiday retreat in the bush i'm desperately trying to find myself a bush block as a holiday house that i can afford just so i can build another container house. I love the idea of two containers under one big pitched roof it would great area for a pool table ping pong an a bunch of huge couches.

This one here is a beauty it was built as a mountain bike retreat. I know id be more than happy spending my weekends camped out there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

jim1964, mr500, PatsyStone and 2 others like this.
  12. QbiK Evolution

You would have to talk to a company like royal wolf or port container services they do modifications for habitation. However they are expensive and not the sort of thing i would want to be living in, think more mining accommodation type of stuff.
    If your looking for something super simple and easy take a look at this, the better homes and gardens people did it for under 50k they say, This might be abit of a stretch but they wouldn't be to far off the mark if your willing and able to get your hands dirty.

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/bett...a-new-home-for-less-than-50-000-its-possible/

13. QbiK Evolution

Thats a rough and ready way to do it thats for sure but whatever works hey haha. One good thing with a tilt tray is if you are building on the ground a tilt tray could position the container right on top of your footings with no need for a crane. As long as you put in some decent size cast in plates then just weld the whole thing down.

14. cheekykoon

cheekykoon Well-Known Member

Would council approve of such a project? especially for non residents investors?

15. QbiK Evolution

Hi cheekykoon,
    Council must approve if a building follows all the guidelines. They can not simply fail the application on the basis of they dont like it. Sometimes there is exceptions however such as subdivision guidelines or heritage concerns. As long as you make the house look aesthetically pleasing i don't think the council minds what the basis of the construction is.

16. bob shovel

@QbiK Evolution
    They are flash containers! I like it. Definately wouldn't be roughing it in those.
    What is done for insulation? Are the walls insulated?
    With the roof is that just colourbond over the top with an air gap? Or is there something in-between. What works best, they do get hot... And cold at night!

Auctions are great for the site dongas already fit out with a kitchen and power. We stayed in one in Innisfail over looking the cane fields (I'll have to find a photo) the owners just put some nice paintings on the walls and a rug and linen and you'd never know that it was one filled with grubby blokes having smoko!

Such a cheap and easy alternative to building from scratch!

17. QbiK Evolution

Yep a huge colorbond roof which provides waterproofing and rain catchment then it looks to me like internal insulation under the plywood cladding. No idea what type however.
    It's good to hear you say it about not roughing it. A container may not be the same space we have grown accustomed to but saying it is in habitable or to small really is very incorrect.

18. bob shovel

By the time these flash ones are done, average Joe wouldn't know they were once used for importing narcotics! :p

19. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

20. QbiK Evolution

Haha brilliant idea ive seen them but thought it was a gimmick. Seems they have been able to commercialize it. Would look great up on the second floor of a container house.