Closed removing avatars

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by macca, 6th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. macca

macca Member

Hi Sim,

I prefer not to show avatars as it uses too much space, on SS I could have just the posters name which meant I could view more posts with a lot less scrolling down the page, is this possible? I have been through the various settings but can't see "don't show avatars option"

thanks,

Last edited by a moderator: 6th Jul, 2015
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

What screen size are you referring to? Mobile devices?

There is no equivalent option to turn off avatars with this forum software.

I guess I could make a "minimalistic" theme which just shows the bare minimum information - could also be used as a "work" theme. Will add it to the TODO list (which is very very long right now :( )

3. macca

macca Member

Hi Sim,

I am using a desktop and when the avatars are shown the avatar takes up 10 lines or more down the page yet the post may only be one line

4. Simon Hampel

Part of the problem is fitting the additional information we wanted to display about each user in the space under the avatar - which is about the only space there is for it with a design like this.

2015-07-06_17-39-13.png

... there is actually a lot more information we could display here, but I wanted to try and find a balance and make sure we only show the critical information we would want to see at a glance.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Could that info be hidden but able to be displayed by expanding a section? Perhaps just on one skin?

I like the way it's done on mobile, but perhaps the full pop up isn't necessary.

6. Simon Hampel

If you click on the avatar or username the "member card" pops up with more details about the user - we can put as much info on that as we want (or more specifically, as much as will fit).

However, that's not the issue - the issue is to find the balance between how much we always display on a post versus how much we hide behind something which requires you to actively click on it.

But either way - a minimalist theme could hide that information anyway.

7. Simon Hampel

@macca in case you haven't already seen it - we now have a "Minimalist Theme" you can choose, which hides a lot of superfluous information, including the logo, avatars and extra profile information currently displayed alongside posts.

If you are a premium or business member, you can also opt to hide the Twitter feed from the sidebar.

Attached Files:

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. macca

macca Member

Thanks Sim, saves lots of scrolling on short posts

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Thanks. That's good.

10. AaronR

AaronR Well-Known Member

Sim is there any chance of having the icon that indicates I've posted in a thread available on the minimal theme? Love everything about minimal bus miss seeing that when scrolling through.