WA Perth - Northern Suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Martinez22, 24th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Anyone looking to buy in Heathridge/Padbury area? What are your thoughts on these suburbs?

Proposed zoning, near the beach.. now that market prices are going down it seems like a good opportunity?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Both suburbs did a pretty big surge on the back of good location and proposed rezoning in the past couple of years. I would say the surge probably went a little too far for them but the location is good.
    I don't know if you'll find any bargains but keep an eye on it and see if it fits into your strategy.

3. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Was looking in these areas plus craigie 2012 when the rezoning was new and prices around the 450k mark.
    I am expecting them to fall back more. I like the location having lived up there for a while.

The massive whitfords shopping center expansion and redevelopment got knocked back but I am pretty sure they are fighting for it to go ahead which should help the area. Also look into the marina as part of your DD.

And still not sure how far away the zoning may be.

Cheers

4. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Well-Known Member

Prices and rents have come back a bit in the last 6 months.

Rezoning was due to go through end of the year/start of next year last time I spoke to the council. Possibly could be some decent opportunities in the next 6 months before this happens.

5. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Hmm very interesting. I've narrowed down my next purchase around this area so glad to know no one has mentioned anything negative :) thanks !

6. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

We had a property in Beldon pre-boom and through-boom, did very well out of it.

I think the area is still a little undervalued, but it probably has to do with the housing stock.

I do, however, think there's much-a-do-about-nothing WRT Padbury. I would rather spend my money and get into something smaller and older in Sorrento or Whitfords, at least then you're on the 'right' side of Marmion Ave.

7. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

My friend and I bought a place in Padbury in 2012, still waiting for the rezoning! I live in it now, wrong side of Marmion Ave but walking distance and via underpass to shopping centre. Quite right about the shopping centre, plans now amended and back before council I think, I do have the letter somewhere. I love it up here, close to the beach, shops, Joondalup, easy access as long as it is not peak hour, anywhere! Haven't had it valued for ages but last time the agent reckoned it had gone up about 100 k since purchase, I wish they would hurry up with the rezoning! Place down the road in I think, proposed r 60 sold in a couple of weeks.

8. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Just wondered if anyone interested in the re zoning had heard anything regarding it, seem to have a bit of a flurry of notes in letterbox and yesterday a letter personally addressed from a local agent. I called him for a valuation a year or so ago and he was well, less than interested.

9. paper

paper Well-Known Member

Right side of Marmion Ave? Close to the beach?
    Why ?

10. paper

paper Well-Known Member

Why it is a wrong side of Marmion Ave? Please explain a bit.

11. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

The beach side is the right side. Close to beach and limited supply of land. In other words more demand than there is supply.

12. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

As an example, looking at a map
    You'd rather buy in Kallaroo than craigie
    Mullaloo than beldon
    Ocean reef than heathridge
    Hillarys/Sorrento than Padbury
    And so on... Looking at a map, the left side is the "right" side :p

Scott Townsend, charttv and HD_ACE like this.
  13. JohnPropChat

What do think of Merriwa? it's between Butler and Clarkson both of which have seen a flurry of activity last few years.

14. Scott Townsend

Scott Townsend Well-Known Member

Your exactly right. Although when I purchased my place in heathridge 3 years ago I would have been paying close to 100k more for the same thing on the other side of the marmion. Although rents are higher across there, % yield wise, heathridge was the better option.

I believe the zoning has now come in to heathridge, as I went and viewed a property in July which the agent gave me paperwork of each street in the suburb indicating which zone it now is.

15. Cruskits

Cruskits Well-Known Member

No, not yet

16. JohnPropChat

For a bit more, probably can look at Quinns Rocks - the last beach side suburb(neglecting Jindalee) that is still accessible by public transport.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice