How To Embrace Failure..

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by willair, 6th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sometimes we have extra people for dinner,like last night most times it's the small group of people that grew up with our daughters,and because of what they read and maybe what their parents taught them the simple fear of failure in Australia in my opinion is still a huge issue..

Everyone at the dinner table talks,and i try and explain to them in most advanced economies within the free world ,there seems to be a very serious fear of going belly-up ,which means people have the smaller capacity to take on low risk,or high as they see it ,which in turn makes people young or old harder to try new things and the mental capacity to ever invest or take on risk,and i have to be carefull what i say,because i only went to grade ten,and some sitting around the dinner table work within mental health,and they give me that look that sometimes goes straight through you..

But as i said last night that way i look at things from my own experience ,failure can sometimes be good,as failure is all part of life,and a simple part of the journey of learning who you are and most times just a small moment in your life,because failure is very real and can be unforgiving and can lead to a spiral into modern day depression,some see failure as a real negative,and as i said last night as i know and listen too very few outside this site who invest,unless i,m lucky to sit next to street smart people at a equities agm's ,good properties investment wise over time only plays by very simple rules ,it's the position and any good position does not change,teach your children about failure first because one only gets a very small window..

TadhgMor, Hanison, sanj and 2 others like this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Fail faster and fail forward

MTR likes this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

There's a great book by Carol Dweck called 'Mindset' (@Leo2413 would love it ;)) that speaks right to this topic. Not being afraid of making mistakes is one of the most important things I try to teach my kids.

Flowerstone, willair, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  4. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

People can learn most of what they need to know about failure simply by playing a round of golf.

(Or most sports in that sense, but even the best golfers frequently find reason to be unhappy with their performance. But they still tee the ball high and let it rip on the next hole).

willair likes this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I asked my accountant, years ago, if he had many customers like us. We were serial (failed) business owners and broke. He said yes. They either give up......or they find something that works for them and become very successful.

ellejay, Kassy, S.T and 9 others like this.
  6. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

bought the boo from Audible, will listen it soon. thanks @Jess Peletier

willair likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I guess the key is not to repeat but learn from mistakes and never give up.

We will all have hurdles some small, some larger than others, I think important to remain focused on what you want to achieve and most of all remain positive, people who always see the glass half empty will struggle to succeed just my thoughts.

MTR

willair likes this.
  8. Jess Peletier

It's a fantastic book, and a must read if you have kids. Let me know what you think :)

ross100 and willair like this.
  9. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

my kids are bit young for it ATM, will let you know what I think of it.

willair likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

... and you have found something that works for you and become very successful ;).

willair and skater like this.
  11. Jess Peletier

Haha - not for the kids, for you as a parent of kids :) It should also be required reading for every educator in the country.

JenW and Eric Wu like this.
  12. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I am trying to teach my kids it is ok to fail, and to do it now while it costs them nothing! As a parent, I also hope to teach them about my failures and give them the advantage of learning from them too... compound interest on learning through other people's failures!

It is a bit of a struggle though - my eldest is very risk averse. I think sport is a good pathway to learn about effort, struggle, failure, persistence.... and ideally success!

Cheers,
    Inertia

MTR and Chillingout like this.
  13. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Learning hurts.

And that's OK.

inertia likes this.
  14. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

It's only a failure if you don't learn or grow from it.

ellejay, Angel, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Jess Peletier I have it in my library :) great read.

One of the all time best mindset/success philosophy books i ever read is jim rohn's The seasons of life. There is a free pdf version on google.

It's absolute gold.

Last edited: 6th Apr, 2016
    Eric Wu and Jess Peletier like this.
  16. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Most people keep their head in the sand to avoid failure. Don't want to hear don't want to see what is happening outside their bubble.

Kate Moloney and MTR like this.
  17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Haha, yes :)

Sackie likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure if I would ever want to 'embrace' failure, would rather just learn how to contextualise it. Would never want to 'embrace it though.

Gurtofen likes this.
  19. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Thanks Jess - have just bought the kindle version of it! I'm always looking for stuff like this, as you see all sorts when you teach a musical instrument. A big one with a range of my students at the moment is perfectionism, and the paralysis this can bring on from fear of making a mistake. Thanks for the tip :D

Jess Peletier likes this.
  20. Jess Peletier

@JenW You'll get so much out of it! Love to hear what you think of it :)

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice