how much would it cost...

Discussion in 'Development' started by Elives, 23rd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

how much would it cost to move a house 5 metres to the left? it's a queenslander. anyone have any ideas? i saw a post where they moved it on the same block (assuming more then 5 metres) and turned it and it was 55k :O

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I called a house lifter/shifter this morning. I was told a medium sized queenslander to lift and shift a couple of metres would cost $25/30K. That was finished up on new stumps, no battens, no slab. Their machine could be hired separately (already on site for the post holes) to remove old cement and lift old stumps and dump them. That could be an extra $1K or a bit more depending on how much work there is, what is left behind, how far to the dump, dump fees etc.

That price does not include disconnection and reconnection of electricity, gas or water. It does not include extending or rebuilding new stairs (for a raise). Just a move (without the raise) might save you money if the stairs can be reused. Our houses will both be raised, so new stairs (or modified existing ones) will be required.

It does not include a surveyor, pegging out the site and we would need certified plans, another few grand all up to get to that stage.

I was told months ago that whatever that cost is, you can count on the same again for a slab, but I've not priced that up yet.

3. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

what are the new stumps made out of? steel concrete? also how much would you allow for disconnect and reconnect of services?

it's so expensive.. :eek:

4. wylie

We would go steel so we can build under in the future. No idea of the other costs until I make some more calls.

5. wylie

Made some calls today.

Disconnect electricity to have house lifted will be about $325. Reconnection about $600 for multi-phase, about $350 for single phase.

Disconnect of gas can be looked at by a plumber and reconnected again. I've asked a plumber friend for a ballpark figure and yet to hear back.

New staircases to suit the new height, approx $300 per tread plus $1K if we need a mid-level landing (we probably wont need that).

Same builder said to allow $15/20K for a new slab and allow $3/5K for the services to go into the slab.

He also said to allow eight to ten weeks from disconnect to liveable. Any sooner than eight weeks will be pushing it. He has done this and had owners move back in sooner, but we would not risk putting tenants in until it is completely ready, so I will allow for three months empty.

Elives likes this.
  6. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Wow thanks for the info much appreciated! one question. above you said house mover said it was 25-30k to move the house and put onto new stumps.

those stumps included would they be steel? as i'd assume the price would change between concrete / steel. also i'm a bit worried as i've heard that house movers under quote when giving verbal quotes and when they actually go out to the job / give written quote it generally blows out by 5-10k, thoughts?

7. wylie

I assume that price was steel (fairly sure actually). I know in the past, our stumper used to say steel was no different in price to concrete or even timber (but maybe I'm confused about what he said? It is a while since we've priced this sort of thing).

I would be getting firm quotes before accepting a job.

Sackie and Elives like this.