How much will a Dual Occupancy cost in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Development' started by 3354, 17th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 3354

3354 Active Member

A Dual occupancy of your home or an investment property will incur at the least the following expenditure:

• The cost of acquisition of the land if you do not own it

• The interest or holding costs

• Your share of equity or the deposit which is usually 10% of the cost of the property

• Stamp duty which is 5% in Victoria

• Legal costs for conveyancing which could be in the vicinity of $1000

• Town Planning Application fee which is around $700 depending on the value of the construction costs

• Subdivision permit fee of around $390

• Bonds or contributions your local Victorian Council may request. Generally speaking open space contributions apply to three or more lot subdivision. A bond may apply to ensure the landscaping is completed as per approved plans

• The Land surveyors fees which can be around $3000

• The Architect and Town Planners fees which ranges from $12,000 upwards. {mods: removed solicitation}

• The landscape consultants fee which is under $1000

• A civil engineers fee for the drainage design around $1500

• The structural engineer's fee which can be in the $3500 range depending on the type and coplexity of the construction. Sloping land, poor soil report will affect the engineering and building cost

• The fees to prepare Building Permit/Tender documents

• An arborist report if it applies. Arborists report on the vegetation on the land and on adjoining properties if applicable

• The Building surveyors fee which can be upwards of $1500

• A soil test report around the $450 mark

• The cost of the construction which can be $1200 per sqm and more depending on finishes and site constraints. Allow $1400 sqm. plus

• The subdivision costs (providing services, crossovers, driveway,landscaping which can add up to $15,000 and more for a simple dual occupancy)

• An open space contribution usually applies for three or more dwellings on a lot. The contributiion can be 5% of the landvale on the rates notice

• A contigency amount to cover unexpected construction costs which should be 5% of the contract price

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Oct, 2015
  2. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

We had a wonderful 'contingency' on our retain + duplex we are building, to get the driveway we wanted we had to pay for an aborist to look at the local street, park, neighbours, etc..., then we had to pay the council a 'fee' for all the 'investment' they had made in the tree, then of course it was at our cost to remove.

3. 3354

3354 Active Member

crazy stuff- trees and councils. At least looks like you are on the home stretch- well done!

4. Timmyd02

Timmyd02 Active Member

$12000 for dual occupancy plans? I think you may have inflated your estimate so you own pricing looks better.

I pay about 30% less than that for a VERY good designer....

5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Yeah $12k is very high. I only paid just over $5k about 2 years ago.

6. 3354

3354 Active Member

I agree with you all - fees for architect/desgner and town planner varies and I have seen it go as high as $30k and more.Shocking but its happening. So I placed a kind of average fee

7. opal3259

opal3259 Well-Known Member

Hi Timmy, can you PM the contact details of the designer you use? About to start a multi-unit townhouse development, so would be keen to chat to them. Thanks.

8. LloydThomas

LloydThomas Active Member

Hi Timmy, Can you PM me the details of your designer please.
    Thanks

9. 3354

3354 Active Member

Fees vary depending on level of service and expertise for two units. Do they include survey fees Do they include meeting and negotiating Council planning officers, attend VCAT ( hopefully not!) write Planning reports, negotiate with VicRoads,CFA,Melbourne Water, do they include 3d marketing collateral.... the list goes on. How complex is the project, how many hundreds of planning approval has the designer achieved...