Desktop Duplex Development

Discussion in 'Development' started by devank, 10th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Ah sorry @BigKahuna - I thought you meant the slab as there is such a thing as a pre-cast ground flab.

Anyway the walls are all timber framed. The exterior side is then clad with James Hardie Scyon products and the internal has insulation then normal plasterboard.

The James Hardie Scyon products are a great range - from weatherboard Linea and Stria to funky panels like Matrix. All the look of timber but made from fibre cement sheets which are sustainable, quick and low maintenance.

Edit: you are right about cleanliness. The site super is a bear if anyone makes a mess. He is also very good at having 2 sets of trades in at once to help speed it up. One day I was there and there were electricians and plumbers and there would have been about 8 tradies in there all working well.

Gockie, BigKahuna and Perthguy like this.
  2. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

I'm assuming the Scyon then gets painted @Westminster or is it left as is?

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I also really like the matrix look and will be using James Hardie matrix panels for much of the cladding for my parramatta duplex.

BigKahuna and Westminster like this.
  4. Westminster

Yes it can be painted in any colour of paint BUT also you can put timber stain on it or the corten steel rust paint. These 2 non paint options can make a very unique look.

This is Matrix with the rust paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perthguy, Ambit, devank and 2 others like this.
  5. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

that is gorgeous. Looks like copper.

6. Westminster

It is, isn't it. It gives a really warm tone with an industrial edge. Its hard to believe it's not metal.
    There is some copper oxidising paint as well which can be an option but I believe it's very expensive whereas the Dulux Rust paint is quite affordable Rust Effect Paint - Dulux Design Collections

7. Westminster

@devank 's project manager has been busy taking the last 2 weeks of the school holidays off on a family vacation so there will be lots to report in on Tuesday when I'm home and visit his site.
    The tiling has been done and I have heard it looks amazing. He went with a porcelain wood look plank tile in a beachy weathered grey/pine look. It should look fantastic with his pale grey and white kitchen.

Perthguy and BigKahuna like this.
  8. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Westminster and BigKahuna like this.
  9. DoubleD

DoubleD Well-Known Member

Update pics for you @devank were these tiles in the builders range ? IMG_4251.jpg IMG_4249.jpg IMG_4245.jpg IMG_4244.jpg IMG_4242.jpg IMG_4241.jpg IMG_4240.jpg IMG_4238.jpg IMG_4237.jpg IMG_4236.jpg

Sackie, HUGH72, bob shovel and 2 others like this.
  10. Westminster

@7DD4 thanks for the photos. I had sent @devank photos of the tiles but they were from before they were grouted.
    In answer to your question - they were an upgrade. You have an allowance up to $45/sqm and these were $60 or $66 from recollection. I think it was a $700 per unit upgrade. I choose 2 tiles for @devank in his prestart - one that was included in the price and this wood look plank tile. I really liked the look and so did @devank.

Perthguy, bob shovel, Gockie and 2 others like this.
  11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Great work @devank (and @Westminster) looks like a fun project!

Is it a WA thing to do the alfresco with pavers, rather than continuing the slab? NSW and qld usually do concrete with the main pour

12. Westminster

@bob shovel yes it's pretty much the norm to do pavers in the alfresco unless you are doing honed concrete.

I'm going QLD style and doing slab to my alfresco in my new PPOR and my project like @devank as I'll be tiling mine.

I'm seeing tiled outdoor areas more often now - mainly in high end places. It's a great way to seamlessly continue the indoor-outdoor flow if you can make the floor the same (or similar) inside and out.

I think it's a very useful tool in small developments - something my brain is constantly thinking and evolving on. @7DD4 something for you to consider.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Archaon, wombat777, Perthguy and 4 others like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Love the seamless look of the flooring from inside to outside, as well as with the glass stacker doors being able to be pushed right to the corner, opening up the entire space. It makes the indoor/outdoor living spaces merge quite nicely and the space perceived to be much larger. I am looking to do very similar with my Brisbane dev.

14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Love those pics.
    I like the use of the kitchen bench opening out to bar /serving area.

It's not to late for @devank to pour a slab and tile outside??

15. Westminster

It probably is, as his pavers would have already been ordered for the path at the front, the alfresco and to the garages. It's probably a price upgrade too. His will still look great and be what Perth is used to.

16. Bryn

Bryn Member

do you have a thread for this?

17. Westminster

Not at the moment @Bryn. Concrete slab went down last week. I'm not sure if anyone would be interested.

Last edited: 2nd Feb, 2016
    DoubleD likes this.
  18. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

19. Westminster

Ok I have some new photos for @devank 's project.

The internal painter started all his prep yesterday and will be painting today. I can't wait to see how that will look as it will really make the place look more finished.

The groovy kitchen splashback/window. I know glass mosaics aren't that popular anymore but they give it a nice splash of colour in a very neutral house and are 3 tones of beachy colours. That hole is for the oven and hotplate.

[​IMG]

Ensuite tiling. A concrete look floor tile and a white textured feature wall tile. Using a textural tile along with a plain white tile gives a feature but not too many colours competing.

[​IMG]

Double vanity in the ensuite. Due to it being quite a small ensuite it is a smaller depth vanity which makes the room feel more spacious but still has enough space for everything a couple would need

[​IMG]

Another photo of the living area floor tile. I actually didn't mean to take this photo but it shows the floor tile quite well. The floor needs a good sweep as there has been lots of tradies in and out but it disguises the dirt quite well. Don't tell anyone I was on site without my boots :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6th Feb, 2016
    Braz, devank, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  20. Westminster

It's Tuesday and 40 something degrees but luckily a nice seabreeze was in - I love a coastal suburb!

I'm putting the pictures up for @devank

Ok. So the painter has started and finishing touches are appearing everywhere - the laundry is in, the powder rooms are coming along. There is only one coat of paint at the moment so the colour isn't final yet. Its a pale taupey grey.

Attention to detail and liveability is high on my list of things I am bossy about :) This little thing is a drop zone nook in the entrance area. On the rear is the laundry. I stole a mere 15cm from the laundry and created this nook with power points. This is where you put your keys, phones, home phone (if you have one there is a telephone point here), router (nbn comes in here or just adsl via ph line), chargers, handbag etc. The benchtop is the same stone as the kitchen. It also make the entrance appear bigger. It would be a good place to put a mirror if you owned it. The power/phone points are actually a little too high on this one - the wiring contractor didn't quite get the gist of it and had already cut the cable when I saw it and explained the reason - so this was the lowest the points could go. On the other side duplex the points are just above the bench top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking light and bright with the first coat of paint on - even with doors blocking the light coming in from the alfresco

[​IMG]

This is the laundry. As you can see it's directly off the kitchen. It is designed for a front loader washer so that there is maximum bench space. With overhead cupboards as well it can still be very functional even though it's very compact. On the opposite wall is a whole wall of shelves. This room is like a mini butlers pantry come laundry. The shelves opposite are the pantry. Matching colours and stone benchtop as the kitchen and the same flooring as the kitchen. Seamless flow from area to area.

[​IMG]

The downstairs powder room.

[​IMG]

View towards the front door, you can see the nook on the left

[​IMG]

Upstairs master bedroom

[​IMG]

Master ensuite looking more like an ensuite now

[​IMG]

Bed 2

[​IMG]

Bed 3

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10th Feb, 2016
    bob shovel, Ambit, Braz and 4 others like this.