Colors on a modern facade

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Tenex, 10th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I have noticed that most modern facades are opting for different tones of grey.

What other colors may work with a facade that has ranges of very dark grey to medium grey colors on the brick / driveway area?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

White trims.

3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes, white is always good and heading back to top of the pops. Beige Royale type colours still look good too. Plus grey-green or green-grey.
    Photos?

4. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Doesnt white stand out too much? What shade of white are we talking? surface mist?

I will try to upload photos later on.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Mission brown with khaki highlights.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Beige Royale (Dulux) is a good complimentary colour - it's a cool beige, not brown - not for window trims or anything, but somewhere you need a contrast block of colour.

Another I have found that looks good is Calfskin - very similar to Beige Royale.

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

white works very well at times with grey, depends on the grey as well as the architecture imo.

personally I prefer a heavier contrast of grey /white on a more modern property, on an older one being done up for me personally a lighter shade of grey looks better with the white, that too not a stark white.

there's no general perfect colour. appropriate colour selection needs to take into account architecture of the existing home, features that aren't being changed (roof, gutters, window frames, fences, whatever), likely purchaser/occupant and sometimes the surrounding area. eg a stark modern exterior colour selection on a federation type home in an inner city area with expensive resorted homes might not be the best idea as it could not only look odd but reduce your potential buyer pool

8. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Pops of red are OK too.
    [​IMG]

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Oh yes - always have to have a red front door - or a purple one.

A variety of "tones" of grey also looks amazing - introduce some green or purple tones, instead of sticking to the black/blue ... as long is it's balanced

EN710 likes this.
  10. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

The picture is not the best quality.

The colors we know so far:

Brick will be quite dark grey (la paloma gaudi from austral range)

Driveway is concrete will be a tone of grey but concrete colors are harder to control, you can aim for a dark tone and get a light one at the end as the process of coloring concrete is different

The window frames are going to be dark black color

Attached Files:

11. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

upload_2016-4-11_11-21-12.png 6470[/ATTACH]

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Really like shale grey. Tried windspray but it looked quite blue on my house. Every place will look different and there are at least 4 sides to the house.I think you're going to need some warmth with that mix as suggested by many above - think green or even ochre tints. However, I'm more into old timber and bricks so lean towards warm and light.
    Nice.

13. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Well I have the garage doors which I am looking to use some form of off-white color but let me know what you think?

There is also the frame around the balcony with the fixed louvre / screen as well as the render / color that will go around the front of the facade and around the windows as well as the color around the framing of the roof. So any suggestions for these would be great.

Depending on my budget, I may clad the party wall with some form of large stone (if budget doesnt allow I may just render it).

Also although these wont immediately show on the facade, I would be looking for options of colors for:

Roof (color bond standard range),
    Eaves
    Gutters
    Fences (color bond standard range)

14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Would recommend having a flick through some brochures to find a look you like and either copy or adjust to your own taste. My understanding of the modern look is that it's monochromatic ie just one colour. You can change the strength of the colour for variation. In any case, no more than 2 or 3 colours including the roof. :eek:
    Either go neutral or slightly warm so that it's not too harsh. @vtt recommended a beautiful grey
    - pebble grey and everyone seems to love it. Try out a few samples pots.
    If you find yourself going nuts, get a colourist from dulux or one of the other companies or pester the painters in bunnings. I'm also trying to work out a colour scheme and it's crazy-making.:confused:

15. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

We are going grey mostly (different tones), white and black. Hopefully it will look nice when finished