QLD Algester in Brisbane .. Anyone else think it will do well?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by D'Mo, 29th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. D'Mo

D'Mo Well-Known Member

Not a lot of talk regarding Algester on the forum, but considering its proximity to places such as Sunnybank, calamvale, Runcorn, Mt Gravatt AND the city, does anyone else think it has the potential to see some great growth over the next few years?

With prices still relatively cheap, and some good schools in the area & a general 'nice' feeling about the community, I believe it has some positives that are quite under the radar (at the moment)

Anyone else have Algester on their radar?

2. Vk8975

Vk8975 Well-Known Member

I had a look here last year and felt it was a nice suburb with good potential. I went to an auction for a 3 bedder which went way over the expected price. There was at least 25 people watching and a number of bidders. Definitely think there is some potential there. Ultimately the prices had moved beyond what I was looking to buy at so I bought elsewhere.

Need to watch out for flood prone areas though.

3. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Not a fan because it doesn't fit my strategy but I can see why people would be interested.

4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

About time you started an Algester thread Mo! Most of the suburb is flood free so no major concerns there. There is no train but a good bus service.

baow likes this.
  5. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

A few clients have picked up stuff around there. Looks to be very decent value in the older highsets in the $400s if you're ok with a ~5% yield, especially when you look at the medians of nearby Parkinson, Calamvale, Sunnybank, Sunnybank Hills.

I won't be surprised to see it continue to perform well in the coming years.

Kate Moloney likes this.
  6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I lived there in 2011 floods and don't recall any flooding. Maybe puddles at the park but I didn't see any road or residential issues. Some properties have nice views of the mountains.

7. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

I live in Algester and really like the area.

There are no passenger trains in the suburb, but the buses are fantastic. I work in the CBD and never have to wait more than 5-10 minutes for a bus, as there are plenty of options. The bus stops are also spread along the main roads (Algester Rd, Ridgewood Rd, Nottingham Rd) so I'd think most houses would be within 5-10 minutes walk to a stop.

Algester has what I would call a 'family vibe' to it. There's plenty of parks and walking paths, and two primary schools which have good reputations (I don't have school-aged kids so I can't confirm!). I don't actually think there are any bad pockets as such. The things I would personally avoid are houses right on the train line, which runs along the west border of Algester. The train line only has a small number of trains along it each day, none of them passenger, but it's more the perception that would impact value.

I'd also avoid buying on Algester Road itself, as it's a fairly busy road, particularly as you get closer to Beaudesert Road on the northern boundary.

There are also a number of large townhouse developments happening in surrounding suburbs, so I'd consider steering clear of townhouses because of the large number of stock coming on the market.

Algester is also close to Browns Plains which has a major shopping complex, and isn't too far from Garden City shopping center in Mount Gravatt either.

All just my opinion of course :D

Heinz57 likes this.
  8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yep.

I lived in Parkinson.

But anyone who lives in Algester/Parkinson probably drives to Garden City than Browns Plains, regardless of how close it appears on a map. ;)

Tom Rivera and Propin like this.
  9. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

There are pockets just north and south of Coll Bennet Park that show up on flood maps

10. Befuddled

Just settled on an IP there last week. Definitely a nice family vibe. 45mins by bus to the CBD that runs frequently and within 5-10mins drive of a number of shopping complexes.

The mid density stuff is around the Star Medical Centre.

There are 3 "big" bus stops along Ridgewood/Algester roads. I would focus on properties within 10mins walk of those bus stops and/or the schools.

There's also a freight train track on the western side that runs to a timetable (couple times a day I believe). I tried to stay away from that but don't think it's a major turn off

Seal likes this.
  11. jaybean

South of the CBD, the train network is so anemic that no one really buys based on train lines like they do in Sydney. As someone who MUCH prefers trains over buses, I will say Brisbane is all about the buses. They've invested heavily in buses and busways.

Southerners - don't get caught up in train lines. What's important at home isn't the same as in Brisbane. I see many making this mistake. Eradicate it from your thought process. If you find something decent along the train line by all means grab it, but otherwise don't obsess over it like you would in Sydney or Melbourne.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  12. jaybean

It's funny to hear you talk about Runcorn like that, but it's true. It used to be like Algester. Algester is the new Runcorn. Runcorn is the new Sunnybank Hills. Mt Gravatt used to be where the old termite ridden trash was. Everything has taken one step up. 20 years ago you could still see kangaroos in Sunnybank Hills. Times have changed!

Propin, Serah, cstar and 1 other person like this.
  13. D'Mo

D'Mo Well-Known Member

Yea it's crazy that it hasn't been mentioned much, yet Rochdale South has been

I think Rochdale south was the comparison for us, in regards to price, distance to CBD etc

However Algester was ALOT more appealing in the end

14. simnatped

simnatped Member

My friend just sold a property on Algester Road (Parkinson end) and even being on the main road the house was always very quiet and tranquil, the sound of traffic didn't make it past the front door. I personally find it too far from the city but will miss hanging out by the pool there :)

Even without much enquiry (they took their own photos which were not very flattering) the house sold within 2 or 3 weeks at a price they were hoping for, so overall a good result.

15. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Oh, ok. I remember seeing froggy tadpoles on the footpath of the park at one stage.

Not so long ago there were platypus there according to a lady who grew up there,that assisted in my daughters science class while they were performing water quality testing in the area.

Algester Primary is huge but an excellent school. Strict boundary to get in.

16. Befuddled

Have to agree with you. Didn't visit Rochedale South in my last trip so can't comment on the feel of the area but Algester won out due to being on the "better side" of the motorway, better schools, and part of Brisbane City Council instead of Logan Council

17. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Nope. This used to go through my back yard in Greenbank. Wasn't a major issue. Twice a day I think

18. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Definitely no skips there now

Heinz57 likes this.
  19. jaybean

Nope. There used to be huge blocks around The Avenue where you could see wildlife. Such a different world.

Bran likes this.
  20. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Its done quite well during the past 18.months. probably brisbane's best kept secret of a suburb. Compared to Parkinson and calamvale it gene rally has much older stock. I don't think there is a bad pocket. The freight train one would hear when they first move there, but it is not a big turn off. Parkinson and algester for me are Brisbanes best suburbs to live

Propin likes this.