VIC 1mn IP portfolio - what/where?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by SerenityNow, 1st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Talking abt foreign ownership was reading the herald sun even A league Melbourne soccer club is now partly own by the Chinese being bought over.

Not to mention the Australian national electrical grids that are fully owned by the Chinese and Singapore governments. If it is a bubble it sure is one hell of a super big bubble with foreign investment

2. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    @Esel We looked for where the following 4 sectors were injecting money. -

Government, Commercial, Retail & Private sectors

We discovered this ultimately uplifted & beautified the area resulting in people's attraction thus moving in and creating demand.

We have found this to work very well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against and build your portfolio faster.

Typically these are some of the signs we looked for where sectors were injecting money -

A/ Local/State/Federal Government. ie Major arterial roads, Govt Depts locating to area, Street Scaping, New Public Transport, Recreational facilities, Hospitals/Medical facilities, Suburb Redevelopment Authorities being formed. etc

B/ Big Multi National Retail & Commercial type companies. ie Major Shopping Centres, McDonalds Hungry Jacks, KFC, Bunnings, Harvey Normans, Good Guys, etc. These companies spend $Millions on market research before going into and setting up shop in an area. If there was no current or immediate future demand for their products and services they would not be moving in, so leverage off the back of their research.

Sources for information as part of your due diligence - You can check out all the federal/state/local government planning & development websites at this one convenient link (http://www.oultwood.com/localgov/cou.../australia.php).

Other sources I use to gather info is Australia's leading demographer Bernard Salt, PRD Research, all the big multi-national company websites, local newspapers, community news, local businesses, and people in the area.....general networking etc.

C/ Private People/Investors. ie Owner occupiers and Investors bowling over old houses then rebuilding new modern homes and redeveloping town houses / villas.

Get out and about. Jump in your car and drive around the area. Better still is once you're in your prospective area hit the streets by foot. You will see so much more on foot than by driving.

I hope this provides some food for thought.

RM1827, Set81 and Esel like this.
  3. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed reply and all the links @Rixter . Really useful bedtime reading.

4. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Yes it is.
    Interstate is just the next layer of diversification..

SerenityNow likes this.
  5. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

I'm all about extremes... buy one blue chip home and give it a nice reno and flip.. can make some nice profit flipping in that price range.

The pinnacle for a 1ml investment. The best I've ever seen. Would've been 2yrs ago heard stories of people buying established property in Balwyn circa 1.4ml, demolishing and rebuilding. 1.6ml later, after holding costs they'd move in, say 8 months after it was built. Live in a nice property for the remaining 4 months. Then sell it to a Chinese investor for 2.8ml.FIRB restrictions to the sellers advantage may or may have not been involved.

Apparently it was real people on somersoft were doing it, and funnily enough a bloke I knew working at a call center did it to!

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

One of our clients bought an apartment in Chatswood for 1.5million 1.5 years ago and just sold for 2.5million... no reno whatsoever. ;)

Handyandy likes this.
  7. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I know an architect who does this. Through once above 1 mil there are buyers bit harder to come by